Over the years, Liberia has been a recipient of numerous international scholarships, an avenue for its students to access quality education, engage with the global community, and foster growth and development back home.
These scholarships not only provide financial support, but also offer a platform to acquire new knowledge, skills, and experiences. In this post, we will explore five fully funded scholarships available to Liberian students.
Chevening Scholarship (Liberia)
Table of Contents
Backed by the UK Government’s Foreign, Commonwealth, and Development Office, the Cheening scholarship offers scholarships to deserving Liberian scholars. These scholarships are awarded to some of the brightest minds across the globe, including Liberia.
It’s not just about the money; it’s about a life-changing opportunity. The scholarship opens doors to world-class education, helping you dive deep into your chosen field and emerge with knowledge that’s unrivaled. With the Chevening Scholarship, you’re not just attending classes; you’re gaining access to a network of global leaders and innovators.
- Be a citizen of Liberia.
- Have completed a bachelor’s degree that is equivalent to a UK upper second-class honours degree.
- Have at least two years of work experience after completing your undergraduate degree.
- Meet the English language requirements. The Chevening Scholarship requires you to have a score of at least 6.5 on the IELTS test or equivalent.
- Have a strong academic background and leadership potential.
- Be committed to returning to Liberia to contribute to its development after completing your studies in the UK.
How to Apply:
The application process for the Chevening Scholarship (Liberia) is now closed for the 2024-2025 academic year. The next application window will open in August 2024. However, I can still give you an overview of the process so you can start preparing early for the next application cycle.
With this opportunity, you can focus on what matters the most – your education. The experiences, the people you meet, the cultures you get to know, and the knowledge you gain will play a vital role in molding you into a leader Liberia and the world needs. So, seize this opportunity and make a difference in your life and in the lives of others.
The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program
Do you envision a future where you lead your community towards social and economic transformation? Then The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program is your launchpad. This colossal initiative, pooling billions of dollars, empowers exceptional students like you from Liberia and other developing countries, providing financial, academic, and social support at undergraduate and graduate levels.
Benefits of Choosing This Program:
- Full Financial Support: No financial burden to pursue education.
- Holistic Development: More than just tuition, focus on personal and professional growth.
- Network and Opportunity: Connect with fellow Scholars and access valuable resources.
- Contribute to Africa’s Future: Equip yourself to be a leader in driving positive change.
How to Apply:
- Applications vary based on partner institutions.
- Research universities or NGOs you’re interested in and contact them directly for specific application guidelines and deadlines.
- Some partner institutions have online application portals.
Through this scholarship, you can pursue your passion, make significant strides in your field, and drive change in your community without the worry of financial constraints. The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program is more than a scholarship; it’s an incubator for tomorrow’s leaders. Get ready to embark on an educational journey that is transformative, comprehensive, and immersive. Will you seize this opportunity?
Read Also: Fully Funded Lesotho Scholarships
The Mandela Washington Fellowship for Young African Leaders
The Mandela Washington Fellowship for Young African Leaders could be your chance to shine. Supported by the U.S. Department of State, this fellowship offers an immersive educational experience in renowned U.S. higher education institutions. It’s your ticket to exclusive academic coursework, robust leadership training, and valuable networking opportunities.
To be eligible for the Mandela Washington Fellowship, you must:
- Be between the ages of 25 and 35 as of the application deadline. (Exceptional applicants between 21 and 24 may be considered.)
- Be a citizen of a Sub-Saharan African country.
- Not be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.
- Have a strong record of leadership and accomplishments in business, civic engagement, or public service.
- Demonstrate a commitment to public or community service, volunteerism, or mentorship.
- Possess strong social and communication skills.
- Have an energetic, positive, and flexible attitude.
- Demonstrate knowledge of, interest in, and professional experience in one of the three Fellowship tracks:
- Business and Entrepreneurship
- Civic Leadership
- Public Management
- Be eligible to receive a J-1 visa.
- Be committed to returning to your home country after the program and applying your skills and knowledge to benefit your community or country.
How to Apply:
The application process for the Mandela Washington Fellowship typically opens in June and closes in September. The specific dates for the next application cycle will be announced on the program website.
For more information on the eligibility criteria and application process, please visit the official Mandela Washington Fellowship website: https://www.mandelawashingtonfellowship.org/apply/
The Mandela Washington Fellowship is more than a learning experience; it’s a life-altering journey that can shape you into a visionary leader Liberia can take pride in. So, if you’re a driven young leader who dreams of making a difference in Liberia, this fellowship can equip you with the skills and connections to make your vision a reality.
The Aga Khan Foundation International Scholarship Program
For students from developing countries, the cost of pursuing postgraduate studies can be a significant barrier. But, the Aga Khan Foundation International Scholarship Program offers a pathway to overcoming these challenges. This program, which is open to students from countries like Liberia, awards a limited number of fully funded scholarships each year. The scholarship covers tuition fees, travel costs, and living expenses, providing a unique opportunity for promising students to achieve their academic goals.
Who is eligible?
- Outstanding scholars from selected developing countries (list available on the Aga Khan Foundation website).
- No other means of financing their studies.
- Applying for a Master’s or PhD program (Master’s preferred).
- Demonstrated academic excellence and leadership potential.
What does the program offer?
- Limited number of scholarships awarded annually.
- Half grant, half loan: 50% of the award is a grant, and 50% is a loan that needs to be repaid with a 5% annual service charge.
- Covers tuition fees and living expenses: Does not include travel, clothing, furniture, or family expenses.
- Duration: Master’s programs: full duration; PhD programs: first two years only.
How to apply?
- Applications are handled through local units of the Aga Khan Foundation (AKF), Aga Khan Education Services (AKES), or Aga Khan Education Board (AKEB).
- Application deadline: March 31st, 2024, for the 2024/2025 academic year.
- Website: https://the.akdn/en/what-we-do/developing-human-capacity/education/international-scholarships
But this program is not solely about money. The Aga Khan Foundation International Scholarship Program is more than just a scholarship; it’s a launchpad to elevate your postgraduate journey, shape your future, and contribute to Liberia’s development. So, are you ready to transform your academic dreams into reality?
How do you get a 100% scholarship?
While there is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question, there are a few key steps you can take to improve your chances of securing a 100% scholarship. First and foremost, research the different scholarship opportunities available and consider which ones are a good fit for you. Once you’ve identified some scholarships that interest you, take the time to review the eligibility requirements and ensure you meet all of the qualifications. You’ll also want to carefully review the application process and be sure to submit all required materials in a timely and professional manner.
Which country is easiest to get fully-funded scholarships?
Difficulty can vary depending on the scholarship, your background, and competition. However, some countries are known for offering generous scholarships:
- Germany: Numerous Master’s programs have tuition-free options, and various scholarships are available.
- Norway: Public universities are tuition-free for international students, and scholarships exist for living expenses.
- Sweden: Several universities offer fully-funded scholarships for international Master’s students.
- France: Government scholarships and university-specific programs exist for international students.
- Netherlands: Scholarships like Orange Tulip Scholarship offer full funding for international students.
Remember: “easiest” doesn’t equal “guaranteed.” Research your options thoroughly and focus on your qualifications to stand out.
Which country has the most scholarships?
It’s hard to say definitively. Many countries offer scholarships, but the type and availability can vary. Look for countries with strong educational systems, research focus aligned with yours, and government scholarship programs.
Are there fully-funded scholarships?
Yes! Fully-funded scholarships cover tuition fees, living expenses, and sometimes even travel costs. They often come from universities, governments, or private foundations.
What is the difference between fully funded and funded scholarships?
- Fully-funded: Covers all academic and living expenses.
- Funded scholarships: May only cover tuition fees, a portion of living expenses, or specific program costs.
Be sure to read the scholarship details carefully to understand what’s included before applying.
As we draw this discussion to a close, it’s evident that Liberia is a thriving hub for incredible scholarships that fuel dreams and empower leaders of tomorrow. From the prestigious Chevening Scholarship and the holistic MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program to the empowering Mandela Washington Fellowship and the innovative Aga Khan Foundation International Scholarship, there are a myriad of fully funded opportunities at your fingertips. Each of these scholarships brings with it a unique offering, a promise to carve out a successful path for your academic and professional journey.
These scholarships are more than just a financial aid package; they are gateways to knowledge, experience, and opportunities that extend far beyond the classroom. So, as a Liberian student, seize these opportunities, embark on these life-changing journeys, and contribute to Liberia’s growth and global footprint. The world awaits your brilliance, your innovation, and your leadership. Are you ready to leave your mark!