Belgium has it all – a thriving academic culture, fascinating history, stunning architecture, and delectable food. But let’s be honest, the cost of studying abroad can be a deterrent for many aspiring students. That’s where Belgium’s fully funded scholarships come in! Whether you’re interested in pursuing an undergraduate or graduate degree, there are several scholarship options available to help you achieve your goals.
But it’s not just about financial aid – these scholarships also offer the chance to immerse yourself in a new culture, build international connections, and gain valuable life experience. In this blog post, we will explore the various fully funded Belgium scholarships and how you can apply for them. So, let’s get started and make your dream of studying in Belgium a reality!
Wallonia-Brussels International (WBI) Scholarships
Table of Contents
The Wallonia-Brussels International (WBI) Scholarships are a fantastic opportunity for students looking to study in Belgium. These scholarships are fully funded, meaning you won’t have to worry about tuition or living costs. They’re also available for both undergraduate and postgraduate programs, with over 100 different fields of study to choose from.
- Be a researcher from any country with a completed doctorate.
- Be accepted to a postdoctoral program or research project hosted by a university in the Wallonia-Brussels Federation.
- Your research area should fall within one of the program’s priority fields: transport & logistics, mechanical engineering, life sciences, agro-industry, aerospace, or environmental technologies.
- Meet the language requirements of your host university (usually English or French).
- Choose the call type: Decide whether you need a long-term (minimum 1 year, renewable once) or short-term (1-3 months, non-renewable) scholarship. Deadlines are different for each.
- Prepare your application: Download the application form and appendices from the WBI website https://www.wbi.be/.
- Gather required documents: This includes your CV, research proposal, recommendation letters, university acceptance letter, proof of language proficiency, and other documents specified in the application form.
- Complete and apply: Combine all documents into a single PDF file (maximum 10 MB) and send it via email to the program manager, following the instructions on the website.
The WBI breaks down its offerings into two categories: Excellence Scholarships for those ready to embark on a Master’s degree journey and Doctoral Scholarships for Ph.D. aspirants. But the benefits go beyond just covering the cost of your tuition. Picture this: not having to worry about living expenses or insurance during your studies. Even your travel expenses to Belgium are taken care of! With such comprehensive support, the WBI scholarships truly let you focus on what matters most – your education.
Belgian Development Cooperation (BTC) Scholarships
Are you from a developing country and keen on making a significant impact in fields like economics, agriculture, public health, or environmental science? Then, the Belgian Development Cooperation (BTC) Scholarships might be your golden ticket!
Types of scholarships:
- Master’s scholarships:
- Cover tuition fees, living allowance, travel expenses, and health insurance.
- Duration: 1-2 academic years.
- PhD scholarships:
- Cover tuition fees, living allowance, travel expenses, health insurance, and research costs.
- Duration: Up to 4 years (4 months per year).
- Internship scholarships:
- Targeted towards professionals working in the field of development cooperation.
- Cover travel expenses, living allowance, and training costs.
- Duration: Varies depending on the specific internship program.
- Be a citizen of one of the 18 partner countries of Belgian Development Cooperation.
- Hold a Bachelor’s degree for Master’s scholarships or a Master’s degree for PhD scholarships.
- Have a strong academic record.
- Be proficient in English or French (the language of instruction at the chosen university).
- Demonstrate a commitment to development cooperation and returning to your home country to contribute to its development.
- Applications are usually submitted through the Belgian embassy or consulate in your home country.
- Deadlines vary depending on the country and scholarship type.
- The selection process is competitive, and applications are evaluated based on academic merit, development relevance, and motivation.
Designed specifically for students from developing nations, these scholarships offer a chance to pursue Master’s or Ph.D. degrees in Belgium, a country known for its vibrant academic community. Beyond just providing access to world-class education, the BTC scholarships take care of all your financial worries too.
Ghent University Global Scholarship Programme
The Ghent University Global Scholarship Programme opens the door to a world of learning opportunities for students from developing countries. This fully funded scholarship program offers students the chance to pursue a wide range of Master’s programs, covering areas as diverse as engineering, humanities, sciences, and the arts.
- Identify Scholarships: Start by researching available scholarships for your program and level of study. Explore faculty websites, the Ghent University Global Scholarships page, and resources for students from developing countries.
- Check Eligibility: Carefully review the eligibility criteria for each scholarship you’re interested in. These typically include academic achievements, nationality, financial need, and commitment to specific fields.
- Gather Documents: Prepare the required documents, such as CV, academic transcripts, language certificates, motivation letter, recommendation letters, and proof of financial need. Specific requirements may differ for each scholarship.
- Apply: Submit your application through the designated channel. This could be via an online portal, email, or postal mail. Follow the instructions and deadlines provided for each scholarship.
General eligibility requirements:
- Be an international student not eligible for EU tuition fees.
- Hold a relevant undergraduate degree for Master’s scholarships or a Master’s degree for PhD scholarships.
- Demonstrate strong academic performance.
- Meet the language proficiency requirements of your chosen program (typically English or French).
- Show a commitment to academic excellence and contributing to your field of study.
- For some scholarships, financial need may be a criterion.
- For scholarships dedicated to specific regions or countries, nationality might be a requirement.
It’s not just about learning, it’s about experiencing the robustness of a comprehensive academic journey in a foreign land. Envision a scenario where your full tuition fee is handled; now, add an allowance for living expenses to the picture. But the support doesn’t stop there.
KU Leuven Excellence Scholarships
Opening the doors to a world of academic possibilities, the KU Leuven Excellence Scholarships are a rare opportunity for international students to pursue a Master’s degree at one of Europe’s oldest and most prestigious universities. The scholarship is designed to support exceptional students with a full tuition waiver, health insurance, a living allowance, and even participation in an orientation programme.
- Be an international student not eligible for EU tuition fees.
- Have an outstanding academic record with a GPA of at least 3.5 out of 4.0 (or equivalent).
- Be applying for a Master’s degree program offered by KU Leuven (except for Executive Master’s programs and a few specific programs).
- Demonstrate excellent motivation and potential for academic excellence.
- Meet the language proficiency requirements of your chosen program (typically English or Dutch).
- Apply to your chosen Master’s program at KU Leuven: Meet the program’s specific deadlines and requirements.
- Complete the online scholarship application form: This form will be available within the Master’s program application platform. Make sure to submit it before the deadline, which is usually March 1st for academic years starting in September.
- Prepare required documents: These typically include academic transcripts, CV, proof of language proficiency, motivation letter, two recommendation letters, and any other documents requested in the scholarship guidelines.
With the KU Leuven Excellence Scholarships, you can transform your academic journey into an unparalleled learning experience. Gone are the days when the financial strain of furthering your education seemed insurmountable.
Does Belgium offer full scholarships to international students?
Belgium definitely offers opportunities for full scholarships for international students, though the availability and specific offerings depend on various factors like your academic level, study area, and nationality. Some programs, like the KU Leuven Excellence Scholarships or the WBI World Excellence Fellowships, cover tuition fees and living expenses. Explore options through reputable sources like university websites, government scholarship portals, and independent scholarship databases.
What is the Belgium scholarship for international students 2024?
Predicting specific scholarships for 2024 can be tricky, as programs and deadlines often shift. However, I can share a few reliable resources to explore:
- KU Leuven Excellence Scholarships: Open annually in March for Master’s programs, offering full tuition waivers and stipends.
- Belgian Development Cooperation Scholarships: Available to students from partner countries for Masters and PhDs, covering tuition, living expenses, and travel.
- Wallonia-Brussels International (WBI) Scholarships: Offer various programs for postdoctoral research and doctoral studies in specific fields, often with full funding.
Remember, early research and checking individual program deadlines are key!
What is the Belgium scholarship for African students 2023?
While dedicated scholarships specifically for African students might be harder to find, several options remain open! Consider these pathways:
- Belgian Development Cooperation Scholarships: Open to students from partner countries, many of which are in Africa. Check if your country qualifies.
- University-specific scholarships: Many Belgian universities offer scholarships, some with no nationality restrictions. Research individual programs offered by institutions like Ghent University or Vrije Universiteit Brussel.
- Pan-African scholarship programs: Explore options like the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program or the Mandela Rhodes Scholarship, which might offer opportunities to study in Belgium.
Remember, scholarship deadlines often fall before the academic year starts, so start your research early!
How do you get a 100% scholarship?
There’s no guaranteed recipe for securing a full scholarship, but some strategies can increase your chances:
- Excel academically: Maintain strong grades and demonstrate academic potential.
- Target relevant programs: Research scholarships aligned with your study area and career goals.
- Craft a compelling application: Showcase your achievements, research interests, and commitment to your field through your application materials.
- Meet deadlines: Be punctual and submit complete applications before deadlines.
- Seek guidance: Utilize resources like university advisors or scholarship consultants for support.
Remember, competition can be fierce, so persistence and a strong application are crucial.
What is the easiest fully funded scholarship?
The prospect of a fully funded scholarship can be extremely appealing, but the reality is that these opportunities require a lot of work and research. However, there are some options out there that may be easier to apply for than others. One example is the Erasmus Mundus scholarships, which are funded by the European Union and offer generous support to international students. While the application process may be straightforward, it is still important to take the time to craft a strong application and make sure you meet all of the requirements.
If you’re looking for a truly memorable and enriching academic experience, a fully funded scholarship in Belgium is the way to go. Not only will you have the opportunity to study at some of the most prestigious universities in Europe, but you’ll also be able to explore the country’s stunning landscapes, vibrant cities, and delicious cuisine. These scholarships are a great way to expand your horizons and discover new perspectives, all while receiving the financial support you need to make your dreams a reality. So, what are you waiting for? Start your journey today and explore the endless possibilities that a fully funded Belgium scholarship has to offer.